OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Ray Hunziker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ray Hunziker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 19:23:47 -0500
This is my first posting, although I've been reading the board for some
time.

Twice in recent days I have observed a Cattle Egret along Tamarac Blvd
in Willoughby. I first saw and photographed the bird on 11/17. I did not
see the bird on 11/18, but I saw it again in the same spot this evening
(11/19) at about 5:00 PM. I am not certain whether this is a notably
late occurrence, but  it is certainly the latest I have ever seen a
Cattle Egret in this area. Frankly, given the weather, I'm concerned
that the bird will not find enough to eat, although it was alert and
appeared to be in good condition. It was never more than a few feet from
the road.

Tamarac Blvd is about a mile long, connecting to Lost Nation Rd at one
end and Lakeshore Blvd at the other. Both of my sightings were at about
the halfway point. The bird has been in the lawn next to the road on the
Tamarac Apartments side (where I live) as well as in the weedy shoulder
on the opposite side.

Good birding to all,

Ray Hunziker