OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:46:21 EST
After a morning of volunteer work I managed to shake free in the afternoon
and check the north end of Hoover Reservoir. Linda joined me with hopes of
finding the Red-throated Loon. It is now on her "list" along with the Eastern
Screech Owl on Old Sunbury Road. This is not the nice list, but rather the lump
of coal for Christmas list, as both birds keep eluding her. Our luck wasn't
all  bad though as we managed to locate the Eared Grebe at Area M.

At Oxbow Road we located two nice sized rafts of Northern Shovelers, the
first with 53 individuals and the second with 62. Both were in fairly close to
the island and easy to view. Further off the east side there was a raft of 70
Bufflehead and a raft of over 200 Lesser Scaup, plus a few scattered Hooded
Mergansers. Where we had high numbers of Common Loons when I visited Saturday
there was a lone Common Loon there today. Add 1 Belted Kingfisher and some
Canada Geese and that was it at Oxbow Road.

Area I had 39 Hooded Mergansers, 5 Pied-billed Grebes, and a few Mallards
and Canada Geese.

Area M was highlighted by the Eared Grebe. In addition there were several
Pied-billed and Horned Grebes. Off the east end of the boardwalk toward Area N
we located a nice raft of Hooded Mergansers, some American Black Ducks and
Lesser Scaup. Scanning the shore I managed to locate 2 Bald Eagles perched in a
cottonwood tree.

The number of waterfowl seems to be fluctuating almost daily with one  day
having high numbers and the next practically none in comparison. From now
through spring Hoover Reservoir will constantly hold the opportunity to find the
unusual if one looks often enough.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) & (3)