OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:49:28 -0500
Fairport Harbor again was pretty slow with nothing of note.  I just missed
the ROSS'S GOOSE on the ground.  I watched it and about 20 Canada geese fly
northeast over Lost Nation Road.  The CATTLE EGRET was feeding off Tamarac
Drive in Willoughby.  It was actively feeding along the north side of the
road about a half mile west of Lost Nation Road.  It seemed to be catching a
fair number of insects.  I was curious about what it was feeding on, but it
gulped them down too quick.

At Eastlake Power Plant there were at least three LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS,
2 2nd year and 1 adult.  All were on the wall.  the only other bird of note
was a peregrine sitting on the power plant stack..

At Gordon Park the RED-NECKED GREBE was in its usual spot along the north
side of the impoundment.  Of interest there was a peregrine that dove at
some mergansers on the water.  East 72nd had a lot of Bonaparte's gulls, but
little else.

At Edgewater Park there was a group of Canada geese along the beach.  I
checked them and found the pale Canada goose but no brant.  As I was leaving
I saw the BRANT flying east along the shoreline.  It flew into the marina
area east of the park.  I checked the marina but was unable to relocate it.
There was also a bald eagle high over the park.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081
440-259-2751