OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:00:41 -0500
  Well, I decided to be neglegent of other things and go birding today.
I joined Dan Sanders and we went out on the chase for the Ross's goose
at Willoughby. Well it wasn't at the elementery school, or the couple
spots with CanGo's that were on the stretched out Golf Course, and we
were following the couple from Penn. (Malcom Harter) who made a sudden
swerve when they spotted a white goose on the corner in a soccer field,
where Dave English saw the bird today I believe. It was the Lake
Catholic School, actually in Mentor's zoning I guess. It was with about
a dozen or so Canada Geese. We had awesome views in the sunlight around
Noon. I got a video and some pics I may try to post someplace here
shortly. Yeah! finally found the little guy, and it was worth the
search.
           We thought since we were close we'd go try and see the Cattle
Egret next to the subdivision on Tamarack road. It was an easy find, a
drive by egret, that was five feen from the road. We watched a minute
or so as it caught a few grasshoppers in the warmish sun. Where to next
was the question? I had one thing on my mind and that was LONG-TAILED
DUCK!!!
             So we thought we'd give it a go, Drive down to Mosquito
Lake and find the beasts if they were still there. This was a life-bird
for me so I was especially hoping to find them since I heard there was
a Male there. So we traveled accross the lake on rt. 88 from the
western side of the lake (first we missed our turns and got lost a bit)
and pulled out on the little fisherman's access that is right about
mid-water. I scoped thru the throngs of Buffleheads and viola! There
was a nice male and female. I kept watching and they were joined by
more, it was hard to get an accurate count as they kept diving but I
finally got them all up and I counted 12 Long-tails total, Just
awesome, and good views to boot. List of notable birds seen today:

Red-tailed Hawk - 12 or so seen along the roads as we drove
Am. Kestrel - 2
ROSS"S GOOSE - 1 near willoghby
CATTLE EGRET - 1   same as above
LONG-Tailed Duck - 12, 2 adult males, 1 subadult male (maybe two) and
the rest were females, seemed to be two sep. groups
Goldeneye, common - 2
Bufflehead - 20+
Mallard
1 Cormorant, d.c
Common Loon - 4+
Bonaparte's gull - 100 or so
Ringbilled Gull
etc.
         Good times and two life birds (ross's and oldsquaw). What a
beautiful day to see beautiful birds.

          - Ben Warner
             Sunbury, Ohio, and roaming.