OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:50:32 -0500
Larry Gara and I were able to easily relocate the White-winged Scoter I
reported yesterday (21 Nov 06).  It was about 40 meteres off the beach in
company with a lone female Common Goldeneye.  In addition to the details
mentioned yesterday, we also clearly observed the whith flas in the folded
wing caused by the white secondaries peeking through.  These two were the
only waterbirds seen from the beach today.  Even the coot were gone.

From the Furnas Shore boat ramp, things were even duller.  There was no sign
of the Red-throated Loon that has been regularly seen there for about ten
days.  The only birds we saw from the ramp were a couple of Ring-billed
Gulls.

Harveysburg Road was no better.  In a careful scan of the lake, we turned up
six mallards and nothing else.  The absence of Bonaparte's Gull, Common Loon
and Horned Grebe at this time of year is very puzzling.

The puzzlement continued at Cowan Lake, where we had about 100 Ring-billed
Gulls and a couple of Mallards and nothing else.  Nothing else, that is,
except for a lone Least Sandpiper on the beach.  This is the latest Least
Sandpiper I have seen in Ohio.  The previous late date was one bird at
Caesar Creek on 12 Nov 01.

Cheers,

Bob

--