OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Tom Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 08:48:51 -0500
Hello Bird Friendly People:

My name is Tom Slater and I live in rural northeastern Muskingum County on
the old family farm of 120 acres.  We enjoy an incredible diversity of birds
and leave 22 acres of woods uncut and untended.  This 22 acres had many
standing snags and draws 2 nesting pairs of Red-Heads every year, gotta
boast don'tcha know ;-)

We feed birds of all kinds and will spend evenings watching White-tailed
Deer, rabbits, opossums and anything that flies in.  We enjoy our visiting
Screeches that will perch and watch whatever we are doing out-of-doors,
twisting their heads around several times in the process.  We also have a
Great Horned pair that stays further from the house but perches in plain
view atop one of our many pines.

I also enjoy amateur astronomy and after my eyes 'dark adapt' I can observe
all sorts of night flyers with just a little assistance from a the light
cast by a sliver of the moon.

Last summer we had guests in and we were able to collectively ?count? our
Hummingbirds, or at least the birds at our many nectar feeders at that time.
We came up with 31 Hummingbirds on several different counts!

I am far from a true birder, (although I keep a poorly organized life list),
but enjoy them greatly.  I look forward to your
assistance answering the many questions I have about our local avian gang.
I also use several MCT telescopes and the old standby 'Kodachrome' to
capture images of our beautiful visitors.

Cordially,
Tom Slater
Adamsville  Ohio   USA