OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Clyde Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clyde Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:16:00 -0500
At approximately 3:45 PM I was scanning the birds in the empoundment area between the boat
ramps and the rocky western edge of Dike 14 on Cleveland's east side -- Gordon Park area. I saw
what I'm quite sure is a Yellow-billed loon. With only binoculars I could not get into the minute
head details, however, all of the other field marks fit Sibley's illustrations. The bird is quite large--
twice as big as the Hooded Mergansers with which it is associating. The clear white front part of
the neck and the greyish nape area, along with the huge yellow bill were clear. As it dove I could
see barring on its back which made me rule out a young corrmorant. And there were no other
corrmorants in the area.

Since I was on my way to an appointment I had only my cell phone to relay the information to my
wife, Susan Jones, and on to Delores Cole who in turn alerted members of the Kirtland Bird Club.
Let's hope for pictures tomorrow!

Other birds in the area included:
Pied-bill Grebe -1
Ruddy Duck - 1