OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:36:49 EST
All the recent discussion regarding the identification of winter loons made
me reach for one of my favorite references.  Kenn Kaufman's Advanced Birding
provides thorough coverage on separating those challenging loons, not to mention
grebes, jaegers, gulls, and more.

This book consistently offers great tips for tough birds.  This fall I was
working at the Black Swamp Bird Observatory's bird banding research station.  We
captured a bird that had all of us a bit puzzled.  A fall warbler looking
very much like a Pine, but the soles of its feet were bright yellow.  Perhaps the
soles of a bird's feet are not THE most useful field mark for birders, but
when you've got the bird in the hand this can be an important distinction.  We
turned to the Identification Guide to North American Birds, by Peter Pyle. This
book is the "go to" reference for banders.  Incidentally, not a bad book for
birders to have on hand as well.

The Pyle Guide, as it is commonly referred to, states that the blackish legs
and feet of the Pine Warbler separate it from Blackpoll and Bay-breasted.
Looking at the many field guides we had among us that day, not one showed a Pine
Warbler with yellow on the soles of its feet.  We ultimately decided to go with
our instincts and the bird went down in the books as a Pine Warbler.  Upon
returning home, I reached for Advanced Birding and I admit, I was pleasantly
shocked to find that it pointed out the fact that Pine Warblers may also have
yellow soles.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I'm married to the
author of Advanced Birding. But the truth is, I was using the book and loving it
long before I was in love with the author!

Bird on.....
Kim Kaufman