OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Tom Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 15:01:28 -0500
Blue Jay - counted 15, lots more across the road in that 400 acres
White-breasted Nuthatch - 4
Carolina Chickadee - 15 or 20, (difficult to count)
Brown Creeper - 3 or 4
Carolina Wren - 4
Northern Mockingbird - one pair in the bushes behind the house
Cedar Waxwing - anywhere from 15 to 30, depending on time of day
White-crowned Sparrow - returning now, I've seen 4 or 5
Dark-eyed Junco - quite a mob, maybe 40
Tufted Titmouse - 6 to 8 (they mix with Juncos and are difficult to count)
Cardinals - lots of them, perhaps 10
Brown-headed Cowbirds - waaaay too many, but one is way too many
European Starlings -                    ditto
Mourning Dove - up to 100 at times
Goldfinch - 30 to 40

Game Birds
Ruffed Grouse - kicked up 9, shot 2 on Thanksgiving day
Pheasant - hearing one cock bird crow
Canada goose - always 10 or 20 gleaning the fields
Mourning Dove (included here because I also hunt them), hundreds at local
feedlots

Raptors, Owls
Bald Eagle - 1 seen aloft hear some large farm lakes near me
Screech Owls - 3 often watch what I am doing out-of-doors at night
Great-horned Owl - pair working from nearby pine tree (observed in good
moonlight)
Cooper's Hawk - one (or more) grabs lots of feeder birds, specializing in
Mourning Doves
Red-tailed Hawk - can usually spot 4 or 5 aloft

Carrion eaters
Black buzzard - 40 or 50 feasting on one of my cattle that died
Turkey Vulture - 5 or 6                       ditto

Woodpeckers
Downy - looks like 4
Hairy - 4 or 5
Red-bellied - at least 4, perhaps 8 or 10 - difficult to count, hearing many
calls nearby while 3 or 4 are in the yard

Tom