OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Tracey Knierim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:59:49 -0500
I was curious about what was in season when, so I looked it up on line.  I
have a lot of hunting going on around my house and it seems like the
shooting is constant.  I just wanted to be aware of when hunting could be
around my house.  I am not trying to get into the hunting vs non-hunting
issue - but I was shocked at what I found.  It all seems so backward.  It
seems to me we have a excess amount of Canada geese and yet the limit is 4.
Then I see that snows, blues, and ross' geese have a limit of 20.  Not that
we do not have these..but I don't think their numbers are higher than
canadas.  And I almost fell off my chair when I saw that the limit on rails
was 25 and the DAILY limit on grouse was 3, and the DAILY limit on bobwhites
and quail where 4.  These numbers could really start to add up!!!!  These
are things that there are probably more of than we see, but I think these
numbers seem backward.  Who decides these numbers and can we as birders do
anything to change them?  I'm not saying not to hunt these things, just can
we get it into what seems like a better check and balance?  It seems like we
have more canadas than these other things and yet we are allowing the limits
to reflect differently.  Or am I missing something?

Shocked and confused in Geauga county!

TRACEY KNIERIM