OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 14:52:00 -0500
I led a field trip for the Kirtland Bird Club today (11/4) to Perry Township
Park  and Headlands Beach State Park.  We had several great species
including WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, PARASITIC JAEGER, POMARINE JAEGER, and
BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE.

There were three white-winged scoters in Fairport Harbor, they were seen
around 1:00 or so.  A parasitic jaeger (immature) was observed heading west
at Perry Township Park.  It flew after a couple of gulls and was chased by a
couple of gulls.  Within 5-10 minutes after that bird flew by, an adult
pomarine jaeger passed by also heading west.  It was also chasing and was
chased by gulls.  It provided some excellent views.  The black-legged
kittiwake (immature) was also seen in Fairport Harbor.  It also provided
some great looks.  It was sitting with the Bonaparte's gulls and may still
be there.

Here is a list of the birds we saw.  A "P" designates Perry Township Park
and an "H" designates Headlands.

Tundra swan   P
American black duck   P
Mallard   P, H