OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:43:55 -0500
Hey all,

Registration for the upcoming Owl Symposium, held by the Ohio Ornithological
Society and Miami Valley Audubon, is open, and we welcome you to that event.
It will be held February 24th at Hueston Woods State Park, which is not only
a great venue, but in a good area for a variety of owls. And we will look
for owls, and hope to have a number of species staked out and viewable by
attendees.

We are also excited by our lineup of speakers. The keynote address will be
given by Denver Holt, founder and director of the North American Owl
Institute in Montana. Denver's work on Snowy Owls was featured a few years
ago in the pages of National Geographic magazine. Also speaking will be Ohio
artist and author Julie Zickefoose, who is very well known to many of you.
Her book, "Letters from Eden" is hot off the press, and she has an
interesting and informative blog at
http://www.juliezickefoose.com/blog/index.php/

Dr. David Russell of Miami University will also be speaking, and any of you
who have heard Dave know what an interesting and educational presenter he
is. Kelly Sieg rounds out the list of speakers, talking about Northern
Saw-whet Owls and the interesting banding work that she and others are doing
with this species in Ohio. They will all be ably introduced by the legendary
MC Bill Thompson, editor of Bird Watcher's Digest, who will also provide
entertainment in other ways, no doubt.

You can see a bit more about this at my blog at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/blog/blog.php or the OOS website at
http://www.ohiobirds.org <http://www.ohiobirds.org/>

I hope to see you there!

Jim McCormac