OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:27:52 EST
Celebrated hubby's retirement today by going to Mosquito Lake to see what  we
could find in the way of waterfowl.  It was a good place to be;  lots of
eagles, 12 different duck species & a fantastic look at some  Long-tailed Ducks
are just some of the highlights.

Starting out at the state park, we found hundreds of Coots &  Mallards,
probably as many as I have ever seen anywhere but the south.

At the state owned boat launch on the east side of the causeway, we found  at
least 4 Loons.  Probably all commons, but some were too far out to tell  for
sure.  Also Horned Grebes, Pied-billed Grebe, Lesser Scaup, 1 Cormorant  & 4
Bald Eagles, (2 adult, 2 immature)

On the west end of the causeway, looking south, there were a pair of
Goldeneyes and 5 Long-tailed Ducks--4 females & what I assume is a 1st year  male; it
had the color pattern of a winter male but it's tale was as short as  the
females.  They were pretty close to the causeway.  We 1st saw them  going across
the causeway to the east, ate lunch on the east side and they were  still
there in pretty much the same spot when we returned about an hour  later.

Going north on Hoagland-Blacstub Rd,we hit the mother lode at the
Mahan-Denman Rd boat launch---Shovelers, Hooded Mergansers, Gadwell, Black  Ducks, Ruddy
Ducks, Green-wing Teal, Bonapart's Gulls and 5 more Eagles. (2  adults). At
the pull-off on Hoagland-Blackstub Rd, just north of the above  mentioned boat
launch, we were able to get better looks at these same birds,  with many more
of the ducks visible.  Also added Pintails and Great Blue  Herons (6 of them
at once in 1 view of the scope; 2 in a tree, 2 on shore &  2 in the water).
And another look at 5 Eagles!  Possibly some of  these were repeats of the ones
we had seen from the boat ramp but I am pretty  sure they all weren't.  The
immatures are all in different stages of  plumage and can be distinguished from
each other.

Heading back south on County Rd 263 we began the raptor jackpot!  Saw  2
Red-tail Hawks, 2 Kestrals & 2 Rough-legs (at the wetland).   Then near the east
end of Mahan-Denman Rd., we topped off with a Northern  Harrier, jumping up &
down in the grass for several minutes.
Also in this area we added American Widgeons, Tundra Swans &  lots of
Ring-neck Ducks

Also throughout the day we found Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker,
Blue Jay, Black-capped Chickadee & Ring-billed Gulls.

Grand total for the day:  31 species.

Bird On!

Laura Dornan
Stark County