OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:07:46 -0500
Hi all,

Don't run for the car keys and binos yet! Here's a neat story, though. Late
this afternoon, I found myself on the phone talking to Lisa Fosco, who is
Director of Animal Care at the Ohio Wildlife Center here in Columbus. They
specialize in rehabilitating wild animals, including lots of birds. Anyway,
at one point I say "so, any interesting birds in there". And Lisa says yes,
we've got a Yellow Rail. Whoa! As you may know, this is a very rare species
in Ohio; maybe a sighting annually if we are lucky. A very furtive beast,
though, and easily overlooked. Anyway, I went over there this evening and lo
and behold, a beautiful little Yellow Rail.

It was probably hit by a car, or perhaps flew into a window, and injured
part of a wing. The staff there have worked their magic and the bird is now
in fine health and can run around like a maniac and fly.

The Yellow Rail turned up in the parking lot of a car dealership in Newark,
Ohio, back on October 20th, and through a funny series of events was kept
alive and made it to the OWC. If you are interested in seeing a living,
breathing Yellow Rail - pics, at least - check my blog at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/blog/blog.php

I'll get the photos up there in a little while. Oh, the bird will soon be
transported to an area on the southeastern Atlantic coast, where Yellow
Rails winter, and released into suitable habitat. Making for a pretty cool
story with a happy ending.

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio