OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 20:36:02 EST
Waterfowl are basically absent at Hoover Reservoir. I took a quick spin to
see if anything new had shown up and the water is empty on most of the
reservoir. The only species to be seen were Double-crested Cormorants, Canada  Geese,
Mallards, some Hooded Mergansers, Ring-necked Ducks, Pied-billed Grebes  and
a lone Horned Grebe. There are lots of Bonaparte's Gulls around.

Since the water was barren I decided to scout ahead for the Hoover  Christmas
Bird Count which will be on December 16th. It seems as if there are  Barred
Owls all over the circle. Earlier this week I checked the pine grove  behind
the Headquarters Building at Alum Creek and located 3 Barred Owls. Today  I
visited the pine grove next to the Soaring Club field off East Walnut Street  and
the ravines past them and located 2 Barred Owls. There was also a Barred Owl
at the cemetery along the spur road section that goes to the water's edge at
East Walnut. Next I checked the pines and oak groves north of the Twin Bridges
 Boat Ramp on Red Bank Road just east of Sunbury Road. This area yielded 2
more  Barred owls and a Great Horned Owl. Then at Hoover Meadows I located a
Barred  Owl in the pine grove near the entrance, probably the one Ben Warner saw
recently. Across the road I walked Old Sunbury Road to the first pine grove
and  located another Barred Owl and then further down the road I finally
located the  Eastern Screech owl that I hadn't seen since last winter. It was a good
thing I  located the owls because not much else seemed to be around today.
Other than  Yellow-rumped Warblers and White-throated Sparrows things were
pretty quiet.

My scouting has also located Barred Owls at Inniswood, Sharon Woods and
Highbanks Metro Parks, plus a small number of Great Horned Owls. My Christmas
Bird Count Elves, if they are alert, should turn in some nice numbers for Barred
owls. The species seems to be thriving in the area.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) & (3)