OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2006 12:28:54 EST
Hoping to see waterfowl in big numbers, I ventured to Walborn Reservoir
(Delorme 52, A-2) and Mogadore Reservoir (42, D-1) this a.m.; mild weather, no
wind, overcast.

Walborn (the trail from the parking area at Reeder Road at south edge)

    -- Canada Geese (60 flyovers)
    -- No other waterfowl
    -- White-throated, White-crowned, Song, and House Sparrows
    -- Carolina Wren (usually heard, this time seen...a gorgeous pair)

Mogadore

    -- American Coot (several hundred)
    -- Ruddy Duck (about 150)
    -- Mute Swan (1)
    -- Loon sp (2, not willing to swear both were Common)
    -- Pied-billed (1) and Horned (1) Grebe
    -- Red-tailed Hawk
    -- Red-shouldered Hawk (first i've seen this far west in Ohio) -- 1, on
an Old Forge Road telephone line, actively hunting passerines in the corn field
north of the road (unsuccessful)

Also checked out the feeder area at Quail Hollow SP:  no winter finches but
lots of junco, white-throated, and a few white-crowned.

Still chasing nemesis Fox Sparrow (I know, I know, shameful!) and Snow
Bunting.

Scott Hannan
Canton (soon-to-be-Wooster)