OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Kevin Metcalf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2006 13:25:22 -0500
This morning at Headlands Beach State Nature Preserve our bird walk from
Cleveland Metroparks had some nice birding on the lake. Highlights included
the following:

White-winged Scoter

Red-breasted Mergansers (flocks in the thousands)

Common Loon (several in the water, others flying by regularly going
easterly)

Horned Grebe (several)

Dunlin - flocks of 20 - 30 going by regularly - most flying westerly

POMARINE JAEGER - at least one brown immature bird seen (field marks noted
were the lack of any discernable tail projections, the "double flash" under
the wing, the relative size next to ring-billed gull - essentially the same
and wingspan - and chunky "jizz". This bird had a fairly whitish base to the
tail/uppertail coverts.

JAEGER SP. - there were at least three jaegers seen from the beach, two imm.
and one winter adult/subadult. One other immature appeared more lightly
built and was probably a Parasitic Jaeger (though there was no consensus
even among some experienced observers). One appeared a little smaller than a
ring-billed gull. The older bird was identified as a Parasitic by other
birders but I did not see well - though the jizz seemed right from what I
could get.

BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE - seen by Hannikman and Rosche

Eastern Screech-owl

Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglet

Snow Bunting

COMMON REDPOLL - fly by heading southwest

Headlands Beach State Nature Preserve is in Lake County east of Cleveland,
reached from I - 90 by going north on State Route 44, which ends at the
park. The beach that birders go to is at the far east end of the beach
toward the lighthouse. Be aware that duck hunting is taking place on the
breakwall.

Kevin E. Metcalf

Naturalist

North Chagrin Nature Center