OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Chris Spagnoli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Spagnoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:12:56 -0500
Hi folks,

If, indeed, someone has been rude to Mr. Slater or discouraged him from
posting to the list, that would be unfortunate.  However, we have no
information to that effect, and it strikes me as premature to pillory
the unnamed poster without actually seeing the supposedly offending
post.  It may well have been a very tactful message to a new user of the
listserv advising of the parameters set by the administrator.  Indeed,
Mr. Slater's own e-mail says the e-mail he received was "very polite":

I have been informed off-list, very politely, that I have committed a
> terrible breach of list etiquette.  I have posted to the list
something
> other than an observing report.

This may be a properly indignant reaction to an overly critical e-mail
from the anonymous sender, or it may be an overly sensitive reaction to
a perfectly unobjectionable e-mail.  In particular, we have no idea
whether the e-mail actually described anything Mr. Slater did as a
"terrible breach of list etiquette" or whether that is arch language
used by Mr. Slater to express his dudgeon.

I'm just suggesting we may not have enough information to proceed here.
Please don't respond to this e-mail either on- or off-list - those are
my two cents for whatever they are worth.

Chris Spagnoli
Lakewood