OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Tracey Knierim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:16:39 -0500
I agree!!!! - well said!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of J
Perchalski
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 12:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Apologies

Just saw the posts about Tom Slater and wish I had seen them sooner.
I don't know who personally decided that Tom was unfit for our elite
group, and I guess I don't really want to know. But if people had
reacted that way to Jean and I during our early postings, we would
have been long gone to, and would have missed a wonderful learning
experience.

As it was, the folks on this mailing list, from the newest to the old
experienced birders were very reassuring, nurturing and encouraging,
and we are better birders for it.

If this is the way we react to new members now, someone needs to
remind me when the change came about, so I can help change it back to
the way it used to be.

My take on Tom's posts was that he was prepared to exchange his long
experience with photography for some education about birds, and I for
one was looking forward to that. If we cannot lure Tom back to give
us a second chance, I certainly hope that we can at least encourage
our existing members to not behave this way in the future. There is
no-one in this group who knows so much that there is nothing more for
them to learn (and if there was, they wouldn't have need of our list
anyway).

The Ohio birding community needs to rethink its priorities if we are
to remain a "community" and continue to hold ourselves up to the rest
of the birding world as a group to be emulated.

Sorry, Tom.

Jean & John Perchalski