OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:57:41 -0500
The Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge Auto Tour will be open this Sunday,
November 12 from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.   This is a self-guided, travel at your
own pace auto tour, that travels through 7 miles of the refuge that is only
open one day each month.

We haven't been seeing anything rare out there.  Waterfowl numbers are high
with all dabbling ducks likely (except blue-winged teal), we have been
seeing ruddy ducks, also tundra swans are plentiful and there are some snow
geese around.  Other birds we've noticed are northern harriers and snow
buntings.  We still have a number of waders including black-crowned night
heron.  Bald eagles are pretty common with pairs being seen around nests.
We do still have some shorebirds, mostly dunlin and some yellowlegs (not
sure which, I didn't even have binoculars with me, shame on me).
Everything has been about what you would expect for this time of year,
which means of course it is a lovely time to come birding on the refuge and
see the parts that are only open one day a month.

Upcoming dates are as follows December 16, February 17, March 17, April 21,
May 12 and 13, June 16, July 21, August 18, September 15.  We skipped
January intentionally - we have never been able to hold the January Auto
Tour due to weather.

Enjoy your fall birding
Rebecca

Rebecca E. Hinkle