OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:30:23 -0500
   I was curious to see if this young bird was still at the boardwalk
today, so I just hit the upper end Boardwalk near Galena. Sure enough
it was still there although it seemed to dissappear for a minute and
then I refound it. I think it starts diving and can be very difficult
to find, you just have to be patient and search the ranks of Horned
Grebes. The bird was then easily viewable for a while as it floated
around next to the horned grebes, near the entrance of the boardwalk.
Got to watch it preen and scratch its neck w/ its funny feet (not funny
for a grebe I guess). This bird looks almost just like the first fall
bird in Sibley's guide book.
     Other birds that were fun to see were about 60 Bonaparte's gulls
and total about 15 Horned Grebes, some mallards, the white muscovy and
bluejays, chickadees , carlina wrens and Goldne-c. Kinglets.
    Good birding,
- Ben Warner
  Delaware Co.