OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:46:04 EST
Today Bruce Simpson and I decided to see if anything was going on north of
Franklin County. We headed north on SR 23 believing the weatherman that it was
going to be clear and nice. We were greeted by thick fog which didn't start
to clear until the early afternoon.

The fog was thick as soup at Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area which  didn't help
to see waterfowl that was any distance out. The ponds off TH-108 had
American Coots, Pied-billed Grebes, Northern Shovelers, Ruddy Ducks a few Great  Blue
Herons and a lone Great Egret. Pond 27 had duck hunters which explained the
absence of waterfowl on most of the water. There were about 700 American
Coots,  some Pied-billed Grebes and a few Mallards. Pond 3 had Pied-billed Grebes
and  Ruddy Ducks. We made a quick stop at the pine grove near the barn with
hopes for  at least a Barred Owl or a Great Horned Owl. There were no signs of
the presence  of any owls in the grove. At Pond 33 there were 3 Red-headed
Woodpeckers and a  Belted Kingfisher. There were several Northern harriers soaring
about the  fields. We then circled the barn at the Sportsman's Center and
located a female  Northern Bobwhite. As often commented upon at this site, CH-75
is closed to  through traffic except for a small section off TH-108 to allow
access to the  Sportsman's Center. This is a loss to birders.

We next went south to Big Island Wildlife Area. At the viewing  platform off
SR 95 there were 9 Trumpeter Swans, several Pied-billed Grebes  and a Northern
Harrier. Then we went to the parking area by the small white  building,
crossed 95 and walked back to the water. There were over 90 Northern  Shovelers, 12
Ruddy Ducks, smaller amounts of Ring-necked Ducks and Lesser  Scaup,
Pied-billed Grebes and American Coots. While there we observed two  fly-overs of
Trumpeter Swans, one of 7 and the second of 2, probably the same  birds we saw at
the platform. Near the Espyville Road turn from 95 there is a  small pond.
There we located American Coots, Pied-billed Grebes, Gadwall,  Ring-necked Ducks
and a Wood Duck. Finally we headed to LaRue-Prospect Road.  Here we only found
many American Coots that were keeping their distance  from the duck hunters
and an immature Bald Eagle.

Our final stop was at the Delaware Wildlife Area where there were  Mallards,,
Gadwall, American Black Ducks, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Ducks,  Ruddy
Ducks and Pied-billed Grebes.

Not an exciting list of birds but an enjoyable day in the field with a
fellow birder and friend.

Charlie Bombaci