OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
RICHARD COUNTS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RICHARD COUNTS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:43:59 -0500
Thanks to Robert Royse and his very educational post to the listserv on estimating flocks of birds, I got to try it out at the Longbrake wetlands this morning. I feel that I've been underestimating large flocks of waterfowl at this location over the last year. This is what I judged to be there this morning:

Canada Goose  177
Tundra Swan  6
Gadwall  19
Am. Wigeon  23
Black Duck  14
Mallard  450
N. Shoveler  78
N. Pintail  225
Green Winged Teal  780  #still may be low!
Canvasback  1
Redhead  2
Ring Necked Duck  18
Lesser Scaup  15
Ruddy Duck  43
Pied Billed Grebe  2
N. Harrier  16
Rough Legged Hawk  1 Dark morph  new to area
Am. Coot  285
Killdeer  7
Dunlin  16
Am. Pipit  10
Am. Tree Sparrow  12
Savannah Sparrow  5
Swamp Sparrow  6
White Crowned Sparrow  1
Lapland Longspur  68  small groups overhead all morning

Rick Counts
Wyandot Co.