OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Chris Spagnoli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Spagnoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:22:37 -0500
I also tried for the Fairport Ross's goose yesterday in the early
afternoon without success.  The flock of Canadas was attended by a large
cloud of small birds, I believe Horned larks, which kept getting spooked
up by a kestrel.  They were too far away to positively ID but there did
not appear to be any significant white on them.

On the way back I hit Eastlake and East 72nd Street in Cleveland.
Eastlake had thousands of Bonaparte's gulls but I was unable to turn up
anything unusual among them; with that many Bonaparte's I was sure I'd
find a Little gull or something even better, but no dice.

The only bird of note was an adult Thayer's gull at Eastlake with dark
markings obviously restricted to the outer webs of the first three
primaries and heavy streaking on the head.  It was very noticeable as it
was one of the small number of big gulls flying around among the
blizzard of Bonaparte's.

Good birding.

Chris Spagnoli
Lakewood, Ohio