OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:04:37 -0800
Hey all,

  Still kind of in shock, amazing day one the lake. Ethan Kistler, Brad Wilkinson and I spent the day at Perry Park and Mentor Headlands. I decided not to write things up in chronological order and just go to the good part.

  At about 1:30 pm we had been at Perry Park quite a while, we were cold and things were kind of slow. Not too far out Brad spotted a Loon that just didn't look right, but it was slowly swimming away. We all three got scopes on it and looked hard, not Red-throated, or Yellow billed and it didnt look like a Common. We spent the next hour  trying to keep track of it, call people,  and take notes. Finally we got John Pogacnick's number and he immediatley left to take a look at the bird. When he got there the loon was extremely far out, and after nearly an hour of it just swimming, it promptly dove. However after losing it for 15 minutes it surfaced much closer. John got some pictures and we all got much better looks at the bird. It was quite small with dark extending to the eye, it was overall quite dark, paler on the nape and had a chin strap. Also it was very dark on the back, had a small thin bill, and gave the impression of its head and neck being "puffy". Overall it was a
 wonderful bird.

  Other highlights from Perry included:

  Parasitic Jaeger- 1
  White-winged Scoter-2
  Black Scoter- several
  Surf Scoter-2
  Tundra Swan-3
  Snow Bunting-120

  Headlands Highlights:

  Good numbers of ducks including Ruddy, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead and 2 Black Ducks.
  Purple Sandpiper- 2 flew by
  Snow Bunting- 30, one wasnt fast enough and a Mink got it.
  American Woodcock- 1 almost hit Ethan in the head.

  The Pacific Loon was observed from 1:30 until  Ethan Brad and I left at 4, John might have seen it after that. Hope some other get to see it.

  Great birding,

  Philip Chaon