CLEANACCESS Archives

December 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sidney Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:13:25 -0500
This is in my test environment but it still concerns me none the less.  I
upgraded via SSH on a NAT Gateway CAS and a CAM with a 30 day eval.  I got
errors on the CAM, and maybe the CAS although I haven't seen it affect
anything yet, after the upgrade while trying to reboot.  I used the same
upgrade file for both.

>>> Creating backup copy of 4.0.3.2 database: db-4.0.3.2-preupgrade.gz
Welcome to the CCA Manager migration utility.

...Upgrading to newer rpms of 4.1.0... done.
...Upgrading CCA files... done

CCA Agent upgraded to version 4.1.0.0

SET
SET
SET
SET
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
Removing temp files... done.
Clearing Tomcat cache... done.
>>> Creating backup copy of 4.1.0 database: db-4.1.0-postupgrade.gz
[root@CCAM cca_upgrade-4.1.0]# reboot
WARNING: could not determine runlevel - doing soft reboot
  (it's better to use shutdown instead of reboot from the command line)
shutdown: warning: cannot open /var/run/shutdown.pid

The system then performs the soft reboot and loads to the login prompt.
When I attempt to access the web interface I just get a page cannot be
displayed, which I found out is because the whole /var/www folder doesn't
exist and stopped the web server from running.  So I created the folders,
since looking at the production cam they don't really seem to contain
anything.  I get the following error message when I attempt to manually
start the httpd service:

        Starting httpd: (2) No such file or directory: httpd.worker: could
not open error log file /etc/httpd/logs/error_log.

If I attempt to do: find / -name "httpd.worker" -print

I get:

        find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a
bug in your filesystem driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf
option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that
should have been searched.

Then it finds the httpd.worker @ /usr/sbin/httpd.worker

If I attempt to execute the reboot command I get the same warning message
above that I got when I upgraded.  If I execute the "shutdown now" command
the system says "shutdown: warning: cannot open /var/run/shutdown.pid"
then freezes.  I also noticed that I started getting this message when
booting up now.

        pkp_drv: module license 'CAVIUM' taints kernel.

and just in case you are wondering the /var/run/shutdown.pid does not
exist when I boot up. This test cam started fresh with 3.5.8 -> 3.6.2 ->
4.0.2 -> 4.1.  These servers are VMWare and I get the license message on
the CAS also but the web interface works and the "shutdown now" command
works.  The CAS also starts the router thread successfully.  I was suppose
to do an upgrade next week but right now it has been put on hold.

Sincerely,
Sidney Eaton
Network Technician/Programmer
Ferris State University