OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:41:17 -0500
This afternoon Jackie Brown and I found the American White Pelican lounging
along shoreline with twenty-three Great Blue Herons not far north of Deer
Creek Lake Dam, and visible from the north extension of the Crownover Mill
Road Access area near the shrike location. We found the Northern Shrike
about fifty meters northwest of the gate to the beach area along the west
side of the roadway leading north from the gate. The shrike twice used high
visible perches briefly then disappeared into brush below for long periods.

Thanks to those who found and shared the locations of these uncommon birds.

Additional species include:

Bonapart's Gull

Ring-billed Gull

Hooded Merganser

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye

Redhead

Northern Pintail

Gadwall

American Wigeon

Mallard

American Black Duck

Canada Geese.

Deer Creek State Park is located in SW Pickaway County, south-central Ohio.
Delorme 67C7. A park map is helpful and can be found at the ODNR website.

Tom Bain

The Glaciated Allegheny Plateau

Chillicothe, Ross County