OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:47:27 -0800
--- susan ruth marengo  wrote:

>  ... Frankly, I  get very very very tired of the
list police ...

A PARABLE

An illiterate man walks into a train station. He sees
on the wall the set of clocks displaying the times in
the various cities in different time zones served by
the train. Unable to read the labels beneath the
clocks, he asks the station-master,

"Why do you have so many clocks, each telling a
different time?"

The station-master replies, "If they all told the same
time, we wouldn't need so many, would we?"

THE MORAL

Different things exist because they serve different
purposes.

My point is that there are plenty of general-purpose
birding lists. Birdchat and Bird Forum immediately
come to mind, and now we have the OOS forums as well.
If one desires a birding list with varied topics, one
has plenty of places to go. However, there is only one
list that is dedicated to Ohio birds and birding, and
this is it. There is nothing wrong with keeping
Ohio-birds focused on Ohio birds. In fact that focus
is the only reason for the list to exist.

It is inevitable that some people, particularly those
new to the list, will stray off topic. It is
appropriate that they be politely steered to a forum
that better matches their interests. Admittedly these
exchanges are tiresome, and I suggest they be dealt
with like any other tiresome topic - with the
delete key.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Gardner