OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:04:19 +0000
Hello folks -

Just a short note on Ben Warner's, respectively, very cool report on the
Headland's Purple Sandpiper and other lakefront highlights. Ben writes that
his party carefully 'dodged waves and remaining ice' to get out to the
lighthouse at the tip of the Headland's breakwall. For those that have never
been to Headland's, I just had to throw up a huge suggestion of CAUTION! I'm
sure Ben, Dan, and John were absolutely extraordinarily careful on the
rocks, and judged lake conditions to be acceptable. However, I still urge
immense caution for those with less nimble feet and balance. Wind and wave
conditions at Headlands can be breathtaking in the way of sheer power. The
presence of ANY ice should increase your wariness by tenfold. It is no small
task to get out and around the lighthouse by walking the narrow end of the
breakwall to the tip.

Options for seeking the Purple Sandpiper:
Yes, you might NOT get the bird if it happens to be hanging out around the
extreme tip of the breakwall (lighthouse), but you surely can much more
easily walk the eastern (lee) side of the breakwall for quite aways,
stepping carefully but securely on huge, flat-ish, cement blocks that make
up the surface of the breakwall for a ways. From these massive blocks one is
allowed spectacular views of the greater length of the breakwall. More often
than not you will succeed with a sighting or two by scanning and re-scanning
from this vantage point.

Many thanks for a great update Ben, and good birding-
cheers
Jen

Jen Brumfield
Akron, OH