OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 23:32:15 +0000
Hello folks.

I see that the bountifully-membered ohio-birds list is seeing a throng of
extraordinarily interesting birding topics of late. One of the most
pertinent topics brought to light (or perhaps a bit in the shade) is in
regards to:

locations and directions to Ohio birding hotspots, and the availability of
immediately pertinent information regarding hotspots/locations in regards to
up-to-the-minute bird reports found on Ohio-birds. I.E. Someone just saw a
Lesser Black-backed Gull at 'East 72nd Street in Cleveland' and I have
absolutely no idea where in the world that is.

That's a good, solid question. Especially when locations are abbreviated or
referred to cordially by nicknames or "local-specific" titles, tension can
rise and one can feel quite lost and bogged down in a sea of 'huh?'s.

There are so many different ways to research specific locations (yay), but
often it becomes a little confusing (nay). With so many members on the list
that are so spread apart geographically, it's a wonder so many of us
actually find our way so quickly to hotspot locations to 'tick' new birds or
seek out specialities, within a mere 24 hours of their discovery! Each of us
has our own method of researching/discovering/finding our way to new and old
birding locations. Some rely almost solely on maps - digital (web) or
handbook (Delorme, for example). Some rely on maps, emailed directions, or
seeking them out on the web through search programs.

Here's a few ways to seek out specific (or even general!) birding locations.
I hope this does not sound dull. Some will mumble 'duh' but others might say
'oh hurrah'. This is one way to find more details on a spot after you've
read a quick post to ohio-birds that contains perhaps 'meager' information
on a location.

GOOGLE. http://www.google.com
Seriously. An awesome basic search program. Type in Headland's Beach State
Park or Cuyahoga Valley National Park or Cleveland Metroparks or Lorain
Metroparks or Lake County Metroparks and wham wham wham wham BAM, I bet you
find a lot of 'hits' that could help you in your quest for general
park/location information, or even a map or ten. Typing in specific
locations works SO WELL. Try this for kicks: type in: Lakewood Cemetery,
Cleveland. What's the first thing that pops up? A MAP. SWEET. Notice also
that Google offers a specific MAP search. It is highly accurate, of course,
and has led myself and many others to many a wonderfully deliciously good
bird or three.

Specific Ohio birding websites with locations and directions

Although a bit few and far between and scattered, there ARE a few great
resources on the web to find useful leads to birding spots.

Ohio Ornithological Society's Online Birding Site Guide
http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/about.php
This site is sick (those in their middle twenties use 'sick' to mean
'totally radical' - smile).
The OOS birding site guide contains at least 45-60 (I didn't count)
hotspots, and provides almost enough detail for you to find your way 'there'
and to the CVS next door to buy floss on Aisle 6.
For example, please allow me to present just a bit (edited) of the Avon Lake
Power Plant description. Pretend I just reported a Parasitic Jaeger at Avon
Lake Power Plant. And that's ALL I reported. That's it. Just that last line.
Dang. What do I do now....bodda bing...bodda boom:

Avon Lake Power Plant

Site Location Information
Address: Miller Road Park, intersection of US 6 from Miller Rd. east
County/Counties: Lorain
DeLorme page number and letter/number coordinates: Page 30, D-2
GPS Coordinates:
Nearest town or city: On the west end of the city of Avon Lake
Distance and direction from nearest town/city:
Directions to site from nearest town/city of at least moderate size: Go to
the western edge of Avon Lake on US 6 (Lake Road). There are two parking
areas along the north side of the road in a city park between the plant
itself and the stoplight at Miller Road. The most frequently used parking
area is the more eastern one whose entrance road runs parallel and very
close to the power plant.

Links to websites:

Site Description
The municipal park comprises 14.7 acres of mowed grass and mature trees, a
boat launch area, a hooked breakwall, and a concrete fishing pier. There are
gazebos with picnic tables and some paved walkways, but no bathroom
facilities. The park sits on a bluff overlooking the lake, and a four-foot
high chain-link fence runs the length of the top of the bluff.

Birds of Interest - Seasonal Specialties
Winter: This site reliably attracts significant numbers of gulls and
waterfowl November through March, drawn here by the warm-water outflow from
the power plant, which emerges in a channel bordered by breakwalls and then
plumes west, where it is easily visible from the park. The northeast corner
of the park, a short distance from the recommended parking area, is a good
vantage point for studying gull roosts on the beach, the breakwalls, or the
ice, and gulls and waterfowl in the water. When you are done there, bird
west along the fence to a gate that allows access to the fishing pier, which
offers other vistas. Current water levels have opened a narrow sand beach,
accessible from the bluff; it is often counterproductive to go down to the
beach to look at birds, as your approach causes them to withdraw.

Many of the gull species on the state list have been recorded here.
Particularly noteworthy are the gatherings of the larger species during the
coldest part of the winter, when great and lesser black-backed gulls, the
“white-winged “ species such as glaucous, Iceland, and Thayer’s gulls, and
the occasional rarity are most likely. Gatherings of diving ducks can be
spectacular at this period as well. Snowy owls sometimes hold vigils on the
breakwalls, and jaegers show up from time to time. The spot is not
worthwhile for passerines or shorebirds.

On first arriving, approach the lip of the bluff carefully, to avoid
alarming birds that may be just below. Getting a good angle on all the birds
may require choosing a spot with care, and adjusting the tripod to see over
or through the fence. It may not always pay to walk to the very end of the
pier, as birds in the water will often retreat as you advance.

Spring: Early spring can be productive of the species described above.
Summer:
Fall: Late fall can be productive of the species described above.
General Information For This Area
Closed hours/season: Open daylight hours
Parking Areas: Two as described above
Fees/Permits: None
Restroom Facilities: None; portable toilets sometimes supplied
Special Notes: Do not stray too close to the edge of the bluff and be wary
of ice on the pier.
Harmful insects, poisonous plants or animals: None
Restaurants in the area: There are a couple of places to eat in a small
shopping center a quarter of a mile to the east.

Other Useful Information: Avon Lake can be extraordinarily cold; wear your
best gear in winter. Winds may leave the pier cloaked in ice, and ice on the
ground in the park can be dangerous footing. Under certain conditions mist
rising from the warm water will make viewing difficult, but least the sun is
always at one’s back on the bluff during the colder months. Glare can be a
problem on one side or another when viewing from the pier on sunny days.
People going fishing, or even surfing, often use ‘unofficial’ entries to the
beach, which is usually marked “No Trespassing,” to get to the outflow area,
and spook gulls along the way, but the birds generally return after an
interval

------- Sorry that was long, but isn't that awesome?

Wait, there's more:

Kirtland Bird Club
http://www.kirtlandbirdclub.org/Looking_for_birds/looking_for_birds.htm

Victor Fazio III Aves.net site:
http://aves.net/OHIOBIRDINGSITES/when-and-where.htm

Dick and Jean Hoffman's Cleveland Birding Site guide:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~djhoff/csiteix.html

Ohio Division of Natural Resources, Wildlife
Birding General:
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/resources/wbirds/birding0404.htm

OHIO'S WILDLIFE AREA MAPS - ODNR (this is sick!)
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/Hunting/wildlifeareas/wildare.htm

Lake Erie Coastal Birding Site Guide:
http://www.coastalohio.com/act.asp?id=39

Favorite Dayton Area Birding Site Guides:
http://www.dayton.net/audubon/favsites.htm

Important Bird Areas: Audubon Ohio:
http://www.audubonohio.org/bsc/ibas.html

That's just a few I found in a few searches online. Now, I realize that the
concern is moreso that 'not enough details to sites are actually provided in
ohio-birds posts'....but, ya know....a little bit of homework reaaaallllllyy
never hurt anybody. Well, I opted out one or two or 3 dozen times on
homework, but.

Let's uh, let's um, let's consider the fact that it - is - so - dang - cool
to be able to post SIGHTINGS to hundreds of fellow Ohio birders at the click
of a BUTTON. And that, in a 2nd click, you can find a search program to MAP
OUT your entire day's drive to that location, to pick up a bird that we all
might never have known was there (till 2 weeks later! or not at all).

If you can't find what you're looking for the first time, why not try a 2nd
or a 3rd? Call or email someone with pertinent queries. Perhaps even the
person that reported said bird(s) or said
location(s).

Ohio-birds can be a wonderful, wonderful, awesomely-cool, up-to-the-second,
out-of-this-world, obviously-changing-the-course-of birding TOOL and
RESOURCE. It was designed as so. That's neat.
Let's use it for what it is? Maybe?

And meanwhile, Google has almost....almost....just almost been proven to
have nearly saved the world as we know it. Well, a birder's world, anyway.
Continue on Lakeview Avenue (east) 4 miles, turn left (north) at East Harbor
Avenue, continue 5.23 miles west, turn left......;)

cheers and best of birding
jen

jen brumfield
akron, oh