OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:27:45 EST
Bagged my Life* SNOW GOOSE today (Thank you, Bill Creasey, for alerting me to
this bird.)  The juvenile white morph Snow Goose is hanging around with a
flock of Canada Geese and a group of Mallards at the Jones Fish Hatchery in
Newtown (east of Cincinnati, DeLorme 75, D4, where it is labeled "State Fish
Hatchery.")  Yesterday and today, it was in/around the second pond on the right
after you enter from Church Street (off SR 32.)  An employee told me the bird has
been there for a week.

The Jones staff requests a phone call if you plan to visit:  (513) 561-2615.
During the week, you are welcomed to drive in, but stay on the concrete
drive.  The ground is often wet and you WILL get stuck.  On weekends, the gate is
locked, but you can park at the gate and easily view the ponds from there.

In addition, I saw a Belted Kingfisher and a Great Blue Heron.

*Life Bird #255; 39 Lifers this year.  Whoo-hoo!!

~Kathi
Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont Co.
Delorme pg 82, B3