OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:24:54 -0800
Hello All,
   Another beautiful and warm day here in Columbus, for this time of the year! Thanks to Jim
McCormac for his recent post and blog pictures of the Greenlawn Cemetery Merlin, which was easily
found at about 11:00 AM today, perched at the very top of a large oak tree toward the Southern end
of area "R". This area is less than 100 yards beyond the 2nd Chapel/Mausoleum, North of the
pit/pond area which is located near the center of the cemetery. In the many years that I have
birded Greenlawn Cemetery, I don't recall ever seeing a Merlin there at this time of the year. As
there is a very nice feeder area being maintained on the West side of the pit, I'm guessing that
this bird may spend the Winter here, in pursuit of birds that are attracted to these feeders.
Perhaps the best strategy for finding this bird is to slowly drive the cemetery roads, scanning
the tops of large trees where they often perch and survey their surrounding area. Another strategy
would be to park or walk up the roadway that goes across the ridge, to the West of the pit.
Position yourself here, facing East at the top of the ridge, and do a "watch" of the pit area. I'm
certain that this is a frequently visited area for the Merlin as it makes it's rounds in the
cemetery.
   For those not familiar with this small falcon, it is about the same size as an American
Kestrel, but with markings that, overall, are darker than a Kestrel with the breast area being
more heavily streaked, facial markings less pronounced, and with a darker back and tail. Also
watch for the "tail pumping" behavior of the Kestrel while perched; especially just after landing.
Other small raptors in Ohio that a Merlin might be confused with would include juvenile
Sharp-shinned Hawks or perhaps a juvenile male Cooper's Hawk, both of which in flight have more
rounded wings and a longer tail in proportion to their body length. Both of these accipiters also
have the distinctive "flap flap, soar/glide" flight pattern seldom seen in flying Merlins which
exhibit a more non-stop wing beat flight pattern like that of a pigeon, and thus the Merlin's
former common name of "Pigeon Hawk".
   For you out-of-town birders, the entrance to Greenlawn Cemetery is located at the West end of
Greenlawn Avenue, just Southest of the downtown area, and can be easily accessed from SR 315. I
would also mention that there may be an over-wintering Merlin nearer to where you live as in
recent years, they have been reported at Calvary Cemetery in Cleveland and also at St. Joseph and
Spring Grove cemeteries in Cincinnati.
   Wherever you may be looking for this great Ohio bird, I wish you the best of luck!

Dan Sanders
Columbus