OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:30:14 GMT
December 19, 2006

I had to go into town (Zanesville) this morning to pick up my car from the repair shop. As I
always do in winter when the opportunity presents itself, I stopped by Putnam's Landing
Park to see if a bald eagle or two were perched in their customary spot, the large sycamores
on the left bank of the Muskingum River just south of the Sixth Avenue bridge. As I pulled
in I saw a huge flock of mixed Canada/domestic geese and mallards/mongrel-ducks
swarming around a young mother and her eight-year old daughter. While they fed white
bread to the gathering throng, I looked across the river to see two adult bald eagles
perched inches from each other in the sycamores. Interestingly, there were three "wild"
mallards along the river bank, uninterested in joining the pursuit of empty carbs.

When the waterfowl finished devouring the bread and the mother and child left, the ducks
and geese all rushed back into the river. This sent one of the eagles into flight downstream:
always a great sight to see this bird in flight.

Putnam's Landing (which for some reason the local park authorities call "Putnam Landing")
is always worth checking out, although it often leaves one with mixed feelings. Roughly half
the resident watefowl are domestics or hybrids. The feeding of ducks and geese there is a
long standing tradition. This morning's adult feeder used to do the same with her mother
when she was a child. Suggestions that it is not really in the best interest of the birds are
met with indifference or resentment. "It's fun!" is the usual defense. At the same time,
having bald eagles as annual visitors is a definite plus, and it gives birders an opportunity
for sharing knowledge and good views of our national emblem, always a delight.

My lifer red-necked grebe also came from this site four years ago. Like I said, always worth
checking.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County