OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:18:42 -0500
   Hey I hit the Greenlawn today in search of the Merlin. Instead of a
dissappearing act this time it tripled itself! haha. Yeah I first came
upon a dark streaked Merlin in section 57 at the top of a tree with a
prominent dead snag at the top where I got some cool pictures and a
video of the bird. It flew off and then I relocated it over closer to
the pit at the top of an oak tree, it soon flew to the north and I
watched it in my bino's as it joined two other birds they zipped around
each other and one split off that I thought looked like the cooper's
hawk, while the other two flew quickly and closely together towards me
after circling. They were both Merlins I could tell at that distance
and they gave me even better looks as they flew back directly over
head. They sure are quick! I then walked down towards the pond to tell
people and another guy had seen the same thing I did from the other
side of the tree.

       Then before circling the pond looking for a Pine Warbler which we
couldn't relocate, I was telling someone else I'd seen the Merlins and
just then a Cooper's hawk chased by after a Mourning dove and I believe
the Merlin was close in there too, in any case after it blasted by it
looked like the Merlin went up to Join two other Merlins who were
flying over in back the other direction to the north. They were Merlins
and the third guy who went up to join them we got a good longer look at
  and it was a Merlin also, so at one point we could see all 3 Merlins
at once. It was pretty exciting, and then a Red-tailed Hawk circled in.
I drove over to try and find the Merlins again on the way out, but
couldn't relocate them immediately so I drove on out of there.
      So anyways, I was excited to be able to find and photograph my
first Ohio Merlin, and follow him up with two more right away! I'll try
and post my photo's later today on the new forum and perhaps at
Rarebird.org.

 Good Birding,
    - Ben Warner