OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:57:29 -0800
Hey all,

           Got to do some birding today in Lake county. Visited Headlands, Mentor Lagoons, and Fairport Harbor. Overall things were slow, but there were some good birds.

              Stopped at Mentor Lagoons first, there was a single Hermit Thrush along with the usual winter birds on the walk out to the lake. Once I got out to the lake, I found the young male King Eider fairly easily. It wasn't too far out and it was associating with a group of 5 Surf Scoters. The Surf Scoters took flight, but the Eider stayed on the water and allowed for long looks. Not much else except for an immature Bald Eagle.

            Next I stopped by Mentor Headlands, which was very very slow. Had one adult Bald Eagle fly over. There  were 3 Redheads, Red-breasted Merganser, and maybe 200 Bonapartes Gulls. However, there were large numbers of gulls flying at Fairport Harbor so I headed over there.

    At Fairport there were large numbers of gulls. 5 or 6,000 Ring-billed Gulls, 500 Herring Gulls, and a good count of Great Black-backed Gulls at 47. Couldn't pick out anything unusual in this flock during the time . A Peregrine Falcon  flew over and scared up almost all of the gulls until it was chased off by 4 or 5 Great Black-backs. Hunters farther down the lake chased 10 Greater Scaup, 450 Canada Geese, and 4 Common Goldeneye into the harbor.

  Overall, not a bad day.

  Good Birding,

  Phil Chaon