OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:26:54 -0500
Thank you Jimmie for the wonderful pictures.
Sibley says that there is a lot of variation in these birds so it should
be possible to identify the 3 merlin and confirm the identity of
individuals.  We now have good photos of one and a general idea of a
probable another. Does anyone else have any photos which match or not
match the characteristics shown here?

In my observations of yesterday and Sunday, the ones I saw feeding had
the very dark & heavy breast stripping. The tail had wide black stripes
and very narrow white stripes. The one I saw yesterday had distinct, but
narrow sideburns. I did not see these on the one I saw Sunday, but that
day was overcast such that the lighting was poor. The photo of Jimmie,
taken on that day showed the effect of the poor light by not bringing out
the black the way it appeared to the naked eye. The sideburns also
appeared subdued and brownish and would not have been visible as such on
the bird I saw Sunday. The tail of each of the birds I saw feeding looked
similar to these 2 photos I found on the internet.

http://lnk.nu/hawkwatch.org/cgn.JPG
http://lnk.nu/sfondideldesktop.com/cgo.Jpg

The tail in Jimmie's photos does not show the much greater width of the
black band as was seen in the other birds, but, in a view from a
distance, the heavy black could very well overwhelm the thinner white
bank. The fluffing of the feathers could also affect the appearance.

I suggest that others seeing these birds, whether or not they can take
photos, check out these 3 features: breast striping, tail banding, a
cheek pattern. (Notice that in the photos I cited above and in Jimmie's
photo (esp., the 1st one), the facial patterns have distinct differences
in patterns.)

I express these comments because of what I have seen and because I have
not seen anything specific from other observers. I welcome any comments
from those more experienced with merlins than I am whether they are
supportive or critical.

Richard Cressman
Columbus OH