OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Linnea Saukko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linnea Saukko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:36:37 -0500
Sunday 12-24-06 at Kildeer Plains

GOLDEN EAGLE
Bald Eagle
Long-Eared Owls (5)
Northern Harrier
Red Tailed Hawks (3)
Broad Winged Hawk
American Kestrels (6)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Trumpeter Swans (5)
Canada Geese
Mallards
Tufted Titmice
Field Sparrows
Tree Sparrows

Killdeer Plains is located west of and between Marion and Upper
Sandusky, on the Wyandot and Marion County line.

No owls were seen in the ODNR pine grove. However, on the drive home,
the 5 Long-Eared Owls were spotted on the south side of Route 77 just
west of Township Highway 108. They were sitting below eye level in an
Osage Orange tree row between the road and a field. We were able to get
within 5 feet of them before they flew about 20 feet down the tree row.
We followed them and were so close that we didn't need binoculars. Their
gray feathers blended with the gray tree trunks and branches so well
that I would not have spotted them if their bright yellow eyes were not
wide open and looking at us.