OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:10:31 -0500
        I've been editing some historical pieces on the birds of Grand Lake St
Marys for the next Ohio Cardinal issue. One of them is by the eminent
naturalist Charles Dury, who studied the Lake in the 1860s.
        Dury's paper, which we'll be reprinting in its entirety, is often cited
as central to the history of double-crested cormorants in Ohio, but not
many have read it. Clark & Sipe's citation in "Birds of the Lake St.
Marys Area" is erroneous, and the journal in which it was actually
published is hard to find.
        Interesting in many ways, the paper is particularly so in its treatment
of cormorants. Dury mentions "seemingly endless swarms" of them, "great
numbers," saying that the largest rookery (indicating there was more
than one) was called "Cranetown," where "quantities were shot for their
feathers." He calls the numbers of fishes they consumed "enormous."
Elsewhere he says of this rookery "[h]ere I used to go to shoot them,
with the natives who wanted them for their feathers. I have helped kill
a boat load."
        Frank Langdon ("Observations on Cincinnati Birds", 1878) wrote that
Dury had told him the cormorants had "rapidly decreased in numbers" over
the previous eleven years. Dawson ("The Birds of Ohio", 1903) explained
this by describing these birds as "fiercely persecuted by fishermen and
thoughtlessly shot by every would-be sportsman who can hit a flying
barn." Dawson states he had seen only one living cormorant in Ohio, so
this must be hearsay, though it has the ring of truth.
        Another article we reproduce, from W.F. Henninger describing a birding
trip to GLSM in 1904, describes the devastation of the wildlife habitat
at the lake, and it is easy to imagine that people who fished for a
living might have blamed cormorants for the failure of their livelihood,
just when the cormorants themselves suffered from the loss of the
fishery through environmental degradation.
        Without Dury's testimony we likely would have no knowledge of this
impressive colony. If there were others, they had no chroniclers. Little
careful evidence of bird populations remains from mid-19th century Ohio.
The very curious J.P. Kirtland had many correspondents and readers, but
his knowledge of Ohio birds in the 1850s had many gaping holes. Grand
Lake St Marys is an artificial reservoir, completed only the decade
before Dury's visits. What must have been the status of cormorants in
the region if a large nesting colony established itself over such a
short time? And what effect might the then-prevalent delusion that
wildlife was inexhaustible (there are several poignant examples in
Dury's piece) have had on what observers bothered to record for posterity?
        As it happens, cormorant biologists Linda Wires and Francesca Cuthbert
have taken a look at questions like these, and concluded that
cormorants, despite what we hear from certain sources, are probably far
less numerous in the Great Lakes than they once were. In historical
perspective, there probably is no recent "explosion" or "invasion" of
these birds.
        Their 2006 article, "Historic populations of the Double-crested
Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus): Implications for conservation and
management in the 21st century" from Waterbirds 29(1):9-37 is available
on the Web at:

http://www.bioone.org/perlserv/?request=get-toc&issn=1524-4695&volume=29&issue=1

This is quite readable stuff from scientists who know their cormorants.
Here are two sentences for a start: "For this species, and others that
are seen as competitors with humans, limits of human tolerance (i.e.
“social carrying capacity”) are far narrower than those of biological
carrying capacity. Because large numbers have been typical for
cormorants historically, population targets based on fishery or other
objectives derived from human values will likely be readily surpassed,
require intensive management, and significantly depart from the concept
of conserving birds in natural numbers and natural habitats."
        If you feel that killing large numbers of native birds is a very
serious undertaking--especially if done in the name of science and
conservation by government agents devoted to wildlife--and deserves the
most careful consideration (and reconsideration), the perspective this
study provides will be of help.
Bill Whan
Columbus