OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 19:23:21 -0500
Nope, not the owl.  There have been a lot of people looking for the reported Snowy Owl in Pickaway Co. the past couple of days, but nobody that I talked to in the area has seen the bird. The last sighting from what I've been able to gather was early yesterday morning.

There IS a reliable big white bird in Pickaway Co., though. The AM. WHITE PELICAN continues at the Deer Creek Reservoir. Since there is no big Arctic blast in the forecast, it will likely still be there for the January listers. Glaucous Gulls might be hard to come by next month if the weather stays this warm, but at least one big white bird should be any easy tick for those folks. The NORTHERN SHRIKE is also still present at its usual area near the gate to the beach. Waterfowl was almost non-existant in the reservoir today, probably because of hunting. I thought that duck hunting was over, but there were still some blinds and decoys around. After an absence of a couple of weeks, Bonaparte's Gulls are again present at Deer Creek with ~50 present today.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com