OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:39:51 EST
Hello!

Ken and Julie Davis and my wife and I spent a beautiful day at  Killdeer
today where we observed the following "notable" birds:

Northern Shrike-first saw in top of a bush at the junction  of CH-75 and
CH-115.  It then flew across CH-75 and hovered like a Kestrel  about a foot above
the ground for ~10 seconds and then flew across CH-115 high  in the air as it
chased and attempted to catch (several times) a small  bird in mid-air
(unsuccessfully).  It then continued flying east of the  Area Headquarters.
Short-Eared Owl-saw 6 at dusk across from the Sportsmen's  Center
Northern Harrier-10
Red-Tailed Hawk-~21
Eastern Meadowlark-heard 1
Horned Lark-~20 (primarily in fields along Washburn  Road)
Tundra Swan-90 (72 in westernmost portion of Pond 27 by  evening and 18
flying overhead)
Trumpeter Swan-3 at Pond 3
Belted Kingfisher-4
Coopers Hawk-2
Bald Eagle-5 or 6 (pair east of Pond 27, 3 maybe 4 in the  area of the
Northern Shrike)
Golden-Crowned Kinglet-~10-12
Barred Owl-in the ODNR pine grove
American Kestrel-only 2
Ring-Necked Pheasant-1 flying low across CH-71
Northern Bobwhite-flushed 4 that were in the "other" pine  grove off of
TH-108 (maybe hiding there from the hunters)
American Tree Sparrow-~100-120 (small flocks seemed to be  everywhere)
Red-Headed Woodpecker-saw 6 (1 immature near Abraham  Marsh, 4 adults at Pond
33, and 1 adult next to the ODNR pine grove), heard  several in the woods
south of the ODNR pine grove
Ring-Billed Gull-~150 in the fields along Washburn  Road near its
intersection with CH-68.

Other than the Barred Owl, we struck out on owls in the two pine  groves.  A
gentleman that we met from Great Britain thought that he may  have seen a
Golden Eagle along CH-71.  At dusk, we observed literally at  least 1000 waterfowl
(primarily Mallards with some Canada Geese)  circling and landing in the pond
just north of Pond 27 (as seen on the ODNR  map of Killdeer).  It truly was
an awesome sight!  Unfortunately,  this pond is inaccessible to the public.
All in all, a great day of  birding with great friends!

Killdeer is located about 11 miles north of Marion, a few miles west of  Rte.
23.  A map of the area is available on the ODNR Division of Wildlife  web
site.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio