OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:07:42 -0500
I would like those seeing merlins at Green Lawn Cemetery in Columbus to
describe which merlin they see. Three have been reported. I have seen 2
myself which are quite different. It would be interesting if people would
indicate which one they saw and where. If something is seen different
from these 2, it would be good information.
The most commonly seen one seems to be the one photographed by Jimmie
Campbell. It has heavy dark stripes on its breast. The tail has broad
black bands separated by thin white bands, like the adult in flight in
Sibley, p130. There are thin sideburns which can be seen in good light,
even with binoculars. His recent post shows these characteristics. The 2
on the right side of this are also good illustrations. This bird seems to
be the one often seen by the Mausoleum. His pictures, as he posted, are
at:

http://tinyurl.com/y96b9x

The other one I have seen has light, brownish stripes on the breast. The
banding on the tail is of approximately equal brown and white bands. The
head (as I saw it) has no clear pattern, but there is a white stripe over
the eye. Ben Warner's post is much like the other merlin I saw and the
description of  at least one person of   the bird he saw southeast of the
iron bridge. I wonder if this is the bird usually seen there. Sections 57
and 70 have been cited as specific sections a merlin has been seen in
this area.
Ben's photo:

http://tinyurl.com/yfh7j9

I photo off web which shows a similar bird is at

http://tinyurl.com/t44dz

Also the photo in Sibley p,130, lower right, adult female, is very much
like the other one I saw (because of the tail banding).

Therefore, I suggest that people who see a merlin, tell which one it was,
the dark one or the light, brown one, ---- or  something else, and the
area that it is seen in -- a landmark or the section number (which are
liberally posted).
What is the 3rd one like???

Rich

Richard Cressman