OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Robert D Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert D Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:42:03 -0500
December 31, 2006

I echo the thoughts and observations of Bob Royse about the AEP
grasslands and the area around The Wilds. Yesterday afternoon I was
observing (not much) in the Prouty Road area, parked close to the spot
where prairie falcon mania reigned supreme a couple years ago. In about
ten minutes of scanning the wide open spaces I had seen a single harrier,
a single red-tailed hawk and a single rough-legged hawk. Bob drove up and
we discussed the general lack of activity, except for the orange-clad
hunters participating in muzzle-loader week. He told me he had seen a
northern shrike close to the intersection of Zion Ridge Rd. and the road
to Chandlersville (SR 146.) I decided to check it out more closely on my
second lap around the vicinity.

I saw the bird briefly about 3:15, had my binoculars on it for about five
seconds, turned to get my spotting scope from the back seat, and it was
gone. This was strangely unsatisfying. Northern shrike has been a nemesis
species for me. For over a decade I have unsuccessfully, although not
persistently (see below) pursued this species in its annual Ohio
appearances: Killdeer Plains multiple times, various northern Ohio
locations, and even Deer Creek on Friday. The result was always the same
- nada, zilch, nichts. The recent reports of a shrike at The Wilds left
me feeling much the same way that I feel about prairie falcon and golden
eagle there (I have never seen them either in spite of more than a dozen
trips.) I shouldn't get my hopes up.

As I stood there waiting for the shrike to re-appear, Bob Royse drove up
again. I told him I had a brief glimpse. He said he was happy I got the
bird. Mr. Royse has now been largely responsible for two of my lifers. He
spotted the black-throated gray warbler at Dawes Arboretum when we
gathered for its one-afternoon visit a few years ago. So, my heartfelt
thanks to Bob.

For over an hour I cruised slowly up and down the stretch of Zion Ridge
Road between SR 146 and the first big hill to the south. I stopped many
times, turned off the engine, got out and patiently held my vigil. I
first spotted the bird about a quarter mile south of 146 on the west side
of the road in the shrubby trees. Finally about 4:20 it re-appeared close
to 146 at the top of a tree that still holds a lot of seeds/dried flowers
(I'm not much of a botanist - maybe in the next life.) This was very
satisfying, since the bird pumped its tail, eliminated, fluffed itself,
and flitted about between that tree and adjacent treeptops for about ten
minutes, in easy scope range. It looks and acts very much like the
loggerhead shrike I knew well from a Fernandina Beach, FL location a
decade ago. As befits the northern species, this bird shows some faint
barring on the breast, and it is a little larger than the loggerhead I
remember. A great bird, and a wonderful conclusion to 2006.

My "Moderate Year" draws to a conclusion.

I have a confession: I am not much of a lister. I have great respect for
those of you, my fellow birders, who keep extensive lists, counts,
atlasses and such. I recognize that we as a community perform a valuable
service in monitoring natural systems through our collective eyes.

I have always watched birds. It was my first boyhood passion so far as
nature is concerned. Later I turned to geological matters, first as
avocation then profession, but I continued to watch birds. When I turned
40, in 1994, I finally decided that I should probably start a life list.
I currently keep North American, Ohio, and Farm (yard) lists, although
I'm not obsessive about it. I flatter myself by believing that I bring a
fair amount of skill to birdwatching. Although my equipment is modest
(cheap) I have always felt that the most important birding equipment is
between ones ears. (I plan to buy better optics, but...)

Last January, for the first time I decided to keep a year list. Knowing
that I would probably not spend too much effort on travel for twitching I
decided that I would call my pursuit a "Moderate Year." I travel quite a
bit on business, often to southern California, so my observations would
not be strictly limited to my local birds. More or less, I wondered how
many species I would see in a "average" year.

I don't plan to leave the farm this afternoon, so the answer (barring
last minute vagrants) is 216.

Highlights (all lifers):

Glaucous-winged gull - seen during a gull symposium at Doheny State
Beach, Orange County CA.
Reddish egret - seen fishing wildly (the bird, not me) at Bolsa Chica,
Orange County, CA
Red-throated pipit - seen at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, Orange
County, CA.
Verdin - seen along the Colorado River bank at Parker, AZ.
Northern shrike - seen 12/30 near The Wilds, in my home county!

Sometimes great things are found close to home.

For those who might care, my Life List (since 1994) rests at 370.

Eminent scientist/engineer Arnold O. Beckman had several "Rules For
Living," and he lived to be over 100. Among these was, "Moderation in all
things, including moderation." (Note: I'm sure others have said this as
well.) I resolve to not be quite so moderate in 2007. Perhaps I can push
my Life List over 400.

Happy New Year everyone!

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.