OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:00:59 -0500
        Earlier today, reliable observers discovered an Inca dove in a backyard
near downtown Huntington, West Virginia. The site is only a few miles
from the Ohio border in Lawrence Co.
        The WV records committee will be looking at the record, but it seems
likely this is a wild bird. This species is on many experts' short list
of possible new vagrants in our region. According to my records (could
be missing the most recent reports), Michigan has one record, in
Chippewa Co in 2004; Kentucky one in Carlisle in 2000 and another in
Fulton in 2002;, and Ontario two, both in Rainy River, one in 1992 and
the other in 200l.
        These are pretty fresh records, and seem to reflect more of these birds
wandering into our region for some reason. All but one of the two dozen
or so records in mid-continent have come from outside the breeding
season (May-July), a lot of them in mid-winter. Across their range these
dainty scaley-looking doves are often found on lawns and vacant lots in
urban settings, and this increases the chances of running into one.
Bill Whan
Columbus