OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 19:55:43 -0500
Intruiged by Paula Lozano's reports of 100-plus Black Crowned Night Herons
in the Flats. (For non-Clevelanders, that's the industrial/commercially
developed area around the mouth of the Cuyahoga River), I dropped by
Columbus Road briefly today around 2:30 p.m. Sure enough the herons were
there, all perched silently and still in some grapevine-festooned trees on
the West Bank of the river. I didn't bother to count, because it was cold
and I forgot my gloves, but 100-ish looked like a good estimate to me.

If you want to check this rather odd (at least to me) spectacle out, come up
Columbus Road from the south, cross the lift bridge, and make a left onto
Merwin Ave. Approach the riverbank via a small park under the Rapid Transit
trestle, and look about 30-40 yards downstream across the river. Bring a
scope if you have one, because that's about as close as you can get. There's
a locked dry dock facility preventing any nearer access.

You can get up behind the trees and see a few of the uppermost birds much
more closely by going up the (technically closed for repairs) Riverbed
Avenue, but I wouldn't drive up there unless your suspension is pretty good.

In other news, despite the fact that I live literally a two minute walk away
from Edgewater, I still haven't seen the Brant. Does anyone know if it's
still there?

Leslie Basalla on the lake shore
Cleveland