OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 22:09:17 -0500
    Joe Bens and I were surprised to see a very late Least Bittern at the Winton Woods settling pond this afternoon. This secretive cattail loving species normally migrates south during August and September, with stragglers noted through October. Peterjohn's "The Birds of Ohio" cites only one later record, which was 12/27/70 from Lucas County, Ohio. As we were leaving Albert Scruggs and Julie Morris arrived and were able to see the bird as well.

     This relatively small bird was seen out in the open sitting very low, just above the water, on a willow in the "stick island". From the observation point you can actually see two "stick" islands in the back center of the settling pond. As you face the pond, this bird was seen in the island farthest left. It did not move from that spot the entire time we were there. It looked cold, forlorn and out of place. Pretty much the way Joe and I did on this cold and windy afternoon. You could make it out with binoculars, but we needed a scope to see it well.

     Several waterfowl and coots are still present including; Mallard 25, Gadwall 34, American Wigeon 9, American Black Duck 1, Northern Shoveler 29, Ring-necked Duck 75+, Hooded Merganser 22, Ruddy Duck 12, and 200+ American Coots.

     Winton Woods is a Hamilton County Park located in north central Hamilton County (Ohio Atlas, page 74, B-3). Entering the park at the West Fork Dam entrance on North McKelvey Rd accesses the settling pond.

http://www.hamiltoncountyparks.org/parks/winton.htm

Jay Stenger

Cincinnati, Ohio