OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 20:46:01 -0500
Bill Heck's run-down of the available software pretty much jibes with my
experience.  I have used Bird Base and Avisys extensively and prefer the
latter.  I am currently checking out the Woodstar Field Diary, which is a
free-form data base that offers the promise of much greater flexibility than
AviSys.  You can download a crippled test version of Woodstar from

http://www.tody-soft.com/

Another thing you might consider, particularly if you are just starting out
and don't have a great many records to process, is simply collecting your
records in a spreadsheet.  Most spreadsheets these days can handle 64,000
rows and the next version of MS Office is supposed to be able to handle
1,000,000.  Keeping your records in a flat file format is dreadfully
wasteful of memory, but we all have memory to burn these days.  The
spreadsheet metaphor is easy to learn (MUCH easier than relational database
managers) and allow you to slice and dice the data just about anyway you
want.  And you don't even have to enrich Microsoft if you don't want to.
The OpenOffice project offers a free office suite, including a very good
spreadsheet, under the open software license at

http://www.openoffice.org/

The main thing, though, is to start keeping records, even if you just write
them down in one of those speckledy composition books we used to use in
school.

Cheers,

Bob

--