OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:38:15 -0500
   Although I left too early to see the Western Tanager make its
appearance I did get to see a nice male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker with
an interesting nape. This guy was very cooperative when I was there
before the others arrived, he was making a lot of noise calling loudly
his "neeyahh" repeatedly. He was on the large deciduous tree near the
road at the same corner the tanager was seen.
      I observed it for some time as this individual had a certain
noteworthiness to it, namely it had a good deal of red on the nape. Yet
I don't believe it to be a red-naped sapsucker. First of all the bird's
throat did not have the extended red sides that overlap the black malar
line as do most red-naped. It did have a red throat, but the malar line
was distinct and all black as far as I could see and I got views of all
angles. Secondly the bird's back did not have the increased black
feathers of a Red-naped, nor did it have the white markings arranged
into the rough 2 lines, with the black central stripe marking of a
red-naped. The back was typical Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, with
noticable buffy tones to the white feathers that were arranged in a
messy 'mish-mash' on the bird's mantle and rump. So noting the above I
decided that it was simply one of the variant colored Y.b. Sapsuckers
that do occur from time to time.
      After meeting John there I tried to relocate the bird as we walked
by where it had been, but was unable to do so. It must have flown off
or have been keeping a low profile as I couldn't hear it any longer
either. The reason for this may have been the Cooper's Hawk I saw as i
was leaving. A mourning dove and a Cardinal scattered as the raptor
flew into the scene. While impressive as these birds are, I can't say I
welcomed the sight of it here in the vicinity of a rare passerine
hot-spot. Keep your eyes peeled little tanager.
      Other birds seen included White-throated Sparrows, Junco's, House
Sparrows, C. Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatch, Red-bellied
Woodpecker, Starlings, Robins, Goldfinches, and a Gull of somekind
probably Ring-billed.
      Nice work Casey with the photo's. I'll see if I get lucky tomorrow
after-noon when I can get down there. I am leading a bird walk at the
BFEC of Kenyon College in Gambier OH, Knox Co. tomorrow morning if
anyone is nearby and would like to Join us at 8:00-9:00am. They meet
every wednesday at this time and its always fun to watch the birds that
show up. You can search the web for directions, just google BFEC and
you'll find the site for the Brown Family Environmental Center at
Kenyon College.
     Stay tuned....
Good Birding,
     - Ben Warner