OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 19:03:15 EST
1) I think the current restrictions are about right for this list.  Perhaps a
new list might give a voice to those ancillary topics that don't fit here.  I
certainly would have zero interest in a "political" board covering topics
like hunting, cats, etc.  I feel pet or captive bird topics are completely
outside the purview of the OOS, on the current listserv or on any ancillary one.

2) When I was a beginner (to this list, not to birding) I felt intimidated by
the depth of some of the topics and by the diversity of the birds people were
seeing.  I sat back and lurked for quite a while before daring to post.  I
didn't do much listing, because I felt my common backyard birds might not be
appreciated in the company of rarities, or that my observations might not be of
general interest.  (I have become bolder of late!)

When I read a post by an apparent novice birder, I try to contact him/her
off-list to help with an ID, answer questions, or offer my services as a virtual
mentor, both of birding and of list etiquette.  Sometimes my notes are
ignored, sometimes people take me the wrong way, and sometimes newbies argue with me
when I try to point out errors in ID (Like calling the southern chickadee
"black-capped" instead of the correct name "Carolina.") but sometimes I strike up
a correspondence with the poster, to our mutual benefit, I hope.  Because so
many excellent birders have helped me so much in the past, I like to try to
give something back by helping others.

I am sure other experienced birders do this sort of thing, too, so I don't
think you can judge how newcomers are treated by public posts alone.  I know
when I was planning a trip to Lake Erie, many people contacted me off-list and
via snail mail with tips, pointers, trip lists, and enthusiasm.  While no one
jumped in to welcome me to the community, eventually I felt more at home.
Perhaps the list needs a sort of "Cruise Director," to meet and greet new posters
and welcome them on board.

Regarding others' comments about straight lists of birds:  There are some
people who only want to know what is being seen where, and the plain, "just the
facts" types of lists serve their purpose.  They are the core of the listserv
and can be quite useful.  Personally, I like the lists that tell not only what
birds were seen, but what they were doing.  A list stating "Shrike,
Mockingbird, Wood Duck, Harrier" would bore me, but a report about a mockingbird
harassing a shrike or harriers stalking an injured woodie tells me a story and gives
me a mental picture.   I also like the reports of the "one that got away."
When I miss one, it makes me feel better to know that others do the same.

My 2 cents' worth,

~Kathi

Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont Co.