OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 19:24:36 EST
Knowing that bad weather was approaching and that Thurs would the last nice
day for a while, I spent 2 hours birding the Camp Dennison gravel pits.  For
those not from the Cincinnati area, Camp Dennison is on the Little Miami River,
along the border between eastern Hamilton and western Clermont County.
(DeLorme 75, 5C)  The former gravel pits have become a string of ponds which are
quasi-famous for their collection of waterfowl, and my target bird was the
reported EARED GREBE, a Life Bird for me.  I found it, along with a nice collection
of avian life.  Somewhat surprising was a calling EASTERN PHOEBE.

Trip List:
       Common Loon
       Pied-billed Grebe
       EARED GREBE*
       Canada Goose
       Gadwall
       Mallard
       Canvasbock
       Ring-necked Duck
       Bufflehead
       Hooded Merganser
       Ruddy Duck
       American Coot
       Ring-billed Gull
       Eastern Phoebe
       Carolina Chickadee
       Carolina Wren
       American Robin
       Northern Cardinal

*Life Bird

Today, December came roaring in like a lion, so I'm glad I took the time to
get out yesterday.

Regarding kestrels:  I have not noticed any shortage of kestrels here in
rural SW Ohio.  I generally see 2 or 3 a day, sitting on wires or flying across
harvested fields.  If leaky barns are good for nesting kestrels, then they must
be happy here.  We have plenty of tobacco barns, which are designed with lots
of narrow slats along the sides that open for ventilation to allow the tobacco
to dry.  Even when the slats are closed, most barns around here have plenty
of gaps, so I wouldn't think kestrels are in any danger in my neck of the
woods.

~Kathi
Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont Co.