OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:01:28 -0500
 Just a quick note and question about Pine Warblers.  Yesterday I saw a Pine Warbler in my yard and called Ben Morrison to ask if this might be significant. He said they are known to overwinter on occasion.  I have never seen one in northeast Stark County at this time of the year.  I thought maybe overwintering would be more likely to occur in the areas of Ohio where they are known to nest.  So, is this unusual for this area? Does anyone else have one? I feel a little bit bad for her (an adult female) today, but she seems to be doing well with sunflower seeds and Winterberry berries. We have a good amount of berries so maybe she will stick around for a while.  Thanks to anyone who has any insight on this.

Shari Jackson
Marlboro Township
Stark County